Monday, March 21, 2011

Gettysburg

Yesterday, my husband, son and my husbands parents and sister took a day trip to Gettysburg. My in-laws have been there several times and my husband was there when he was younger but I have never been there. I've lived in Pennsylvania my whole life, right out side of Philadelphia, but I have never seen some of the important/historical sites around here. Yesterday morning around 6:30, we met up with my in-laws and hit the road for Gettysburg. It took us about 2.5-3 hours but we finally made it. We stopped to grab a map and were on our way to the battlefield. Even though that it now looks like empty fields with a few houses scattered here and there, it is really moving and inspiring knowing what an important piece of United States History happened there. Being at these locations that famous Generals were killed or where certain events happened during those 3 days was kind of surreal. Walking on the grounds that were used as a battlefield, 148 years ago,  for one of the most important battles in american history was amazing. My 2 1/2 year old went with us and I hope to take him back one day when he will be able to appreciate what kind of even took place there. While there we also visited Gettysburg National Cemetary, which is one of my pictures for my 365 project.  Being at such a place yesterday and taking tons of pictures, I couldn't pick just one for my day 2 picture....so I picked two!

This was the memorial to the men from Pennsylvania who fought at Gettysburg. All around the memorial were plaques that held the names of all of the men who were there. There were also steps inside so that you could go up to to the top and look around. It was a great view.












This was in Gettysburg National Cemetary. The little white spots mark graves that soldiers are buried in, they are marked with a number. There are over 6,000 soldiers buried throughout the area from the Mexican-American War to present day. 3,512 of these are Union Soldiers with 979 never being identified



Pennsylvania is full of history and I hope to be able to get to see more of it this coming summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment